LL-L: "Lowlands-L" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 08.MAY.1999 (02)

R. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Sat May 8 23:30:39 UTC 1999

 Do not send a request to the list or to the administrator unless there are
 genuine technical problems. Thanks.

From: "Joseph W. C. Carson" <samizdata at earthlink.net>
Subject: Lowlands-L

Dear Ron:

Without wanting to come across as "corny" I wanted to ask you on the eve
of your hand-over of LL-L to Linguist.org whether you'd care to comment on
your role as the administrator of Lowlands' List so far, and what your
legacy will have to do with the List's future direction.  I'm sure I speak
for all of us in saying "thanks" for all you've done, and I hope that
you'll take a minute to comment on the years gone by and what you'd like
to see happen to the List in times to come before you ride off into the
sunset.  I look forward to the tremendous potential for expansion that
tapping into Linguist's demographic base represents (while at the same
time offering a prayer to the Gods of bracken, gorse and heather that it
doesn't lead to a dilution of the sense of community and continuity shown
in the ongoing exchange of views among friends that has historically been
so evident in the postings of participants to Lowlands-L until now).
Come what may, thanks again for the excellent stewardship you have shown
in sponsoring the List for so long, and let me make room for the
valedictory remarks other Lowlanders will doubtless want to render unto
Caesar before the barabarians come.

Best, Joseph

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at geocities.com>

Dear Joseph, dear Lowlanders,

Thanks for your kind words and for putting up with the inconveniences
(weird messages that have alarmed a few of you) of the current move.

Perhaps I failed to explain the situation as clearly as was necessary. The
truth is that I am not resigning as the "owner" of Lowlands-L to ride off
into the sunset -- at least not at this point.

What is happening is that Lowlands-L is in the process of shifting to
another list server: from Listproc at the University of Washington to
Listserv owned by LINGUIST.  This does not mean that the folks at LINGUIST
are going to run Lowlands-L.  They are merely and very kindly providing us
with server space and web-based facilities, including a searchable online
archive.

Listproc and Listserv are software that automatically processes and
distributes mailings to and from subscribers.  Listserv is clearly a
superior, far more sophisticated system.

Things are in transition right now, a little longer than anticipated due
to some technical problems that look more and more as though they are due
to some peculiarity in my email account, which provokes Listserv to go on
alert and consider me some sort of intruder ...  Hopefully we will get
this kink ironed out and will be able to resume normal LL-L business from
the new server very soon.  I will then give you more details that will,
among other things, allow you increased control of the flow of LL-L mail,
and -- yey! -- use non-English (ISO) letters.  I thank everyone for their
forbearance in the meantime.

While I *am* going to stay on as the "owner" for the time being, I very
much wish to have two "stand-by deputies," at least one to start with.
It is important for me to know that Lowlands-L can remain alive even if I
don't. (No cause for alarm, just the usual possibilities.)  Also, it would
be nice to have someone stand in should I be in need to take a sabbatical
from Lowlands-L for a while.  So far no one has come foreward to
volunteer.  I assure you that the job does not require a degree in rocket
science or even in computer science, for that matter.  It takes as much or
as little time as you are willing to devote to it.

I think I will reserve words of parting and retrospection for the
appropriate moment.  This moment has not yet come.  However, I feel it is
always a good time to discuss future directions and potentials of the
List.

Yes, Lowlands-L is almost exactly four years old now!  So far it's been a
good ride with only the occasional, relatively minor bump in the road. I
think this calls for a round of mutual shoulder patting if not even online
partying.

Thanks to all of you, and best of regards!

Reinhard/Ron

 * Please submit contributions to <LOWLANDS-L at u.washington.edu>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "unsubscribe
   lowlands-l") are to be sent to <listproc at lists.u.washington.edu>.
 * Postings are to be composed solely by means of characters within
   the US ASCII range, since characters outside this range cannot be
   read by the majority of subscribers. Characters outside the range
   ought to be represented differently (e.g., u" or ue for u-umlaut, or
   @ for schwa).