LL-L: "Language policies" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 13.MAY.1999 (01)

sassisch sassisch at geocities.com
Sun May 16 22:01:43 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.MAY.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
 L=Limburgish, LS=Low Saxon (Low German), S=Scots, Sh=Shetlandic

From: "Ian James Parsley" <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Language policies

Ron and John,

This is an extremely tricky question - I've seen Austrians write
Austrian-German with a moreorless standardised orthography, yet none
of them would deny it was a dialect of "German".

However, in the West at least, it is very difficult for a language to
become recognised as such without a (standard) orthography. As there
is no recognised Ulster standard of Scots for example, Scots speakers
in Ulster have often looked towards standard English for guidance,
which has led to much confusion.
--------
Ian.