LL-L: "Language policies" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 19.MAY.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Wed May 19 14:30:05 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAY.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
 L=Limburgish, LS=Low Saxon (Low German), S=Scots, Sh=Shetlandic

From:  gdeutsch at estec.esa.nl
Subject: Language policies

Thanks Jan (Parsley) for your clarifiying note!

>I can't believe one Geordie ...
>would e-mail another in Geordie, simply because there's no Geordie
>orthography as such, and it would be confusing therefore to use
>anything other than standard English.

But I think it would be possible, and the situation would not be so much
different to the referred situation of 'Wienerisch' as it might appear.
Most people reading text written in this - their own -  dialect have to
read it often loudly in order to be able to understand what is meant.
In this way it would probably work with Geordie or any other variation.

cheers

Georg

* Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to be
   sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or performed at
* Please use only Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other type
   of format, in  your submissions