LL-L: "Orthography" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 20.MAY.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Thu May 20 17:40:08 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Users Manual: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html>
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
 L=Limburgish, LS=Low Saxon (Low German), S=Scots, Sh=Shetlandic

From: "Ian James Parsley" <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Language policies

Yes, the point being that one Geordie would write very differently
from another, even if they both understood each other. Whereas I
noticed my Austrian friend e-mailing home on a recent visit to
Northern Ireland in Wienerisch and receiving a reply with the same
orthography, moreorless.
--------
Ian.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/1677

----------

From: "Ian James Parsley" <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Orthography

John,

Words such as "seen" and "keen" tend to be spelled AE in Ulster - I
wonder is that because of an older phonology? I would pronounce the
vowel in "saen" (Eng. "seen") differently from in "reik" (Scottish
Scots "reek") - could there be any historical basis for this, or am I
maybe being misled by numerous Ulster writers who use these
spellings?

Unfortunately phonology is far from a speciality of mine so I cannot
answer these questions.
--------
Ian.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/1677