LL-L: "Orthography" [E/S] LOWLANDS-L, 28.MAY.1999 (06)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Fri May 28 21:51:46 UTC 1999

From: Ian James Parsley <I.J.Parsley at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Orthography

>         Als Nederlander wonend in de UK, verbaas ik me er telkens weer
> over dat zware lokale accenten hier algemeen geaccepteerd worden, zelfs
> hoog op de sociale ladder.  George Robinson in Blair's kabinet spreekt
> met een onmiskenbaar Schots accent.  Een van mijn zakenrelaties in
> Londen (Managing Director van een miljarden bedrijf) doet geen enkele
> moeite om zijn Geordie accent te verdoezelen.

Yes, note I did say "English" dialects rather than British -
certainly cabinet ministers from Scotland retain their accents, Tony
Blair even has traces of the Scottish accent of his childhood
(consider his pronunciation of 'i' in _bit_, for example). Scottish
newsreaders, for example, keep their accent even when reading the UK
news in London. This also applies to Northern Ireland (take political
correspondent John Cole) or Wales (Huw Edwards, who often reads the 6
o'clock BBC news). However *English* newsreaders leave little hint of
where exactly they're from - even the local news here in Newcastle is
read in a "standard" English accent.

As for the Geordie, the deliberate use of accent often hinges on
local identity. The North-East of England is, for example, the only
area of England where the polls suggest local people are in favour of
a regional assembly (along the lines of those recently set up in
Scotland and Wales), and many cars proudly display "NE" or
Northumbria stickers. I would never say Geordies are not proud of
their accent, simply that it is not on the same scale as Scots. There
is no real equivalent of "Oor Wullie" or a John Pepper book series
for example.

However, I went to the doctor's recently here in Newcastle and
although you could just about tell he was local, he didn't have a
strong accent. Yet when I met a doctor in Cologne he even used "ik"
and "dat" to me, a foreigner. Politicians in *England* very often
hide their accent (which they think would show a lack of education),
yet Bavarian politicians often take lessons in making their accents
*more* Bavarian.

Obviously I can't speak for the Netherlands, but I do think, though
things are definitely changing, it still pays to have the BBC accent
in many areas of England, whereas there is no accent with such
prestige in Germany (or even Scotland or Northern Ireland for that
matter, although obviously some accents are considered more
"educated" than others).
--------
Ian.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/1677