LL-L: "Passive" LOWLANDS-L, 03.NOV.1999 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 23:19:20 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.NOV.1999 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Bob Stockman [bsman at iserv.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Passive" LOWLANDS-L, 02.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

Ron
with regard to your line ...
Vunavend wardt hier wardt dansst
would be verbally (to the ear) quite fine with the Low Germans I know
although it would perhaps be written differently
Vunavend wardt hier wat dansst
because the second wardt is a different word and would be spelled
differently
and the meaning would be "an unusual amount of dancing or a particularly
energetic dancing was to take place tonight".

Bob Stockman

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Moin, Bob

> Vunavend wardt hier wardt dansst
> Vunavend wardt hier wat dansst

Sure, though I freely admit that the second _wardt_ was an error, a leftover
after editing.

I'm not totally sure if I should understand _Vunavend wardt hier wat dansst_
as meaning 'There will be (a lot of) dancing here tonight' or as meaning
'There will be a bit of dancing here tonight_.  In this type of construction,
_wat_ can easily mean the same as _'n beten_ 'a bit'.  However, this may apply
more in conjunction with adjectives (meaning 'somewhat'), and I do agree that
it could also be interpreted as not meaning that here.  Perhaps it could even
be emphatic, I guess, as in _Mann, oh Mann! Daar wöör wat dansst!_ 'Oh, boy!
Did they get down boogying!'  Yes, just as you said: "an unusual amount of
dancing or a particularly energetic dancing was to take place tonight."

Thanks again.