LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 03.NOV.1999 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 03:30:56 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.NOV.1999 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 03.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Hi, John!
>
> Thanks for the additional information above.
>
> However, this still leaves the question of  the origin of 'to muck in',
> doesn't it?

This doesn't seem very mysterious to me if you look at it from the Scots
point of view. For example, there's the well known song in Scots "The Muckin
o Geordie's Byre" where "muckin" is cleaning out, i.e. getting rid of the
muck.

This is analogous to the Scots "redd", which means "rubbish" as a noun, but
as a verb "tae redd" means "to tidy", i.e. get rid of the redd.

In English the usage is slightly different, i.e. "mucking in" in the sense
of getting your hands and everything mucky together, but the connection with
"muck" still seems clear.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org