LL-L: "Names" (was "Etymology") LOWLANDS-L, 06.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 19:11:32 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.NOV.1999 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 05.NOV.1999 (08) [E]

Pat,

I studied in Newcastle upon Tyne for four years, so can say with some
authority that a "Mackem" is usually a resident of Sunderland. The
Newcastle-Sunderland soccer match is always billed as "Geordies v. Mackems".

I think we've discussed the term "Geordie" on this list before, but "mackem"
is entirely different.
You're not far off, in fact. It refers to the now-defunct shipbuilding
industry up in Sunderland. They used to say to southerners about their ships
"We mak 'em, you tak 'em".

Hope that helps,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij