LL-L: "Delectables" (was "Language connections") LOWLANDS-L, 13.NOV.1999 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 19:03:57 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.NOV.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Language connexions

Roger wrote:

>Het boekje "Koken met Carluccio, Vis, schaal- en schelpdieren" ... is
duidelijk een vertaling uit het Italiaans naar het Nederlands. De namen van
de gerechten zijn zowel in
het Italiaans als in het Nederlands weergegeven, en het valt mij op dat er
heel wat woorden dezelfde stam hebben, zonder dat het mij duidelijk is welke
taal bij welke andere heeft ontleend.

>2. Involtini di Pesce __Spada__
Gevulde __zwaard__visrolletjes.

>Komt Spada niet met de Nederlandse __spade__ overeen?<

In English "spade" means both a digging tool (N. "spade") and a suit in a
pack of cards. The suit comes from It. "spada", "spade" (sword, swords) or
Sp. "espada". But ultimately the words are cognates, derived from words
meaning "broad blade" (Gr. "spathe").

I suspect that the interesting sets of words for dried cod (or similar fish)
have been discussed before:

It. "baccalà", Sp. "bacallao"
N. "kabeljauw", D. "Kabeljau", Sw. "kabeljo"

Nice metathesis!

Interestingly, the alternative Sp. name "abadejo" is used in the Caribbean
for "swordfish", (as well as meaning cantharides or Spanish fly). I
commented once before about Latin (Linnean) names being used in this field
to prevent confusion.

Is the Swedish/Norwegian dish "lutfisk" (dried cod or other fish soaked in
caustic soda and boiled) known in any of the Lowland-language countries?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

John wrote:

> It. "baccalà", Sp. "bacallao"
> N. "kabeljauw", D. "Kabeljau", Sw. "kabeljo"

John, not to forget Portuguese _bacalhau_, perhaps the most important and
beloved food item of Portugal, usually eaten in dried and soaked form.

> Is the Swedish/Norwegian dish "lutfisk" (dried cod or other fish soaked in
> caustic soda and boiled) known in any of the Lowland-language countries?

It is not a part of the North German diet, as far as I know.  We call it
_Stockfisch_ and usually associate it mostly with Scandinavia.  Like in the
Netherlands, North German preservation tradition is mostly based on pickling, in
brine or in vinegar.  This is why salty (e.g., _Bismarkhering_) and
sweet-and-sour (e.g., _Rollmops_) flavors are the traditionally preferred ones.

We have a sizeable Norwegian and Norwegian-descended population here in Seattle,
and this is how we ended up having annual lutfisk eating contests.  Not that I
would ever dream of participating ...

Best regards,