LL-L: "Delectables" LOWLANDS-L, 16.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 16:32:25 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.NOV.1999 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: $ Elsie Zinsser [ezinsser at simpross.co.za]
Subject:  LL-L: "Delectables" LOWLANDS-L, 13.NOV.1999 (02) [E]

Hi, all!

Ron wrote:
Oops!  Here are a few corrections.

 > _Stockfisch_
 (1) I think _Stockfisch_ only refers to the fish in its dried
stage.  I don't know what we would call the finished version-by the
Norwegian or Swedish name, I suppose.

I think we refer to _stokvis_ as all undried-ready-to-cook white fish in
Afrikaans. Can anybody help me right?

 Dutch/Afrikaans _loog_, German _Lauge_,

In Afrikaans we would not refer to _loog_ as edible brine. _pekelwater_;
_ is reserved for that.
_loog_ would be used for making soap with.

Bye-bye!

Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject:  Delectables

Elsie wrote:

> Dutch/Afrikaans _loog_, German _Lauge_,
>
> In Afrikaans we would not refer to _loog_ as edible brine. _pekelwater_;
> _ is reserved for that.
> _loog_ would be used for making soap with.

Elsie, as you said, _pekelwater_ is simply 'brine', i.e., a solution of mostly
salt and water.  At least that is the usual meaning of Low Saxon (Low German)
_Pökel_ [pœ:kl] ~ _Pekel_ [pe:kl] ~ _Peek_ [pe:k] (cf. English 'pickle').

Strange though it may seem, when you make _lut(e)fisk_ you actually soak the
cod not in brine but in  *lye*, i.e., _loog_.

_The American Heritage Dictionary_ for 'lye':
(1) The liquid obtained by leaching wood ashes
(2) Potassium hydroxide
(3) Sodium hydroxide
( < Middle English _lie_ < Old English _lêag_)

Best regards,