LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 18.NOV.1999 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 16:39:13 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.NOV.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Henno Brandsma [Henno.Brandsma at phil.uu.nl]
Subject:  LL-L: "Administration"

Hoi allegearre!

Am I the only one that gets all his messages doubly?
Starting, I think, yesterday, I get alle the messages twice,
succeeding each other quickly. Also, the first one is exactly
17 bytes (I think it is) smaller than the first one, so this
seems to suggest that something systematic is going on.

Henno

----------

From: Lowlands-L Administrator [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject:  Administrativa

Hi, Henno, Lowlanders!

I've just become aware of the problem of double issues myself, first because
Ian Parsley alerted me.  (Thanks, Ian.  No need to change your subscription,
since it turns out to be a List-wide problem.)

As I announced on Friday, 12 November, the good people at LINGUIST are moving
us and all other lists over to a new list server with new and improved
software.  This was supposed to happen yesterday, and yesterday it was that
this problem of double sending started.  (Please see a repeat of my
announcement below under my signature.)

Perhaps both servers, the old one and the new one, are working simultaneously
or did so only yesterday.  We'll see if you get two copies of today's issues.
At any rate, I've alerted Anthony Aristar of LINGUIST, and I'm sure he'll have
it fixed soon if the problem still exists.  In the meantime, please bear with
the inconvenience.

While I have your attention, please let me say "Welcome!/Welkom!" and
"Wäljkiimen!" respectively to the two people who joined us from Luton, UK, and
Ollenborg/Oldenburg, Germany, yesterday and today.  The former wants more
exposure to Dutch as a foreign language.  So let's oblige her!  The latter is
a second-language speaker of Frasch (i.e., Continental North Frisian of
Bökingharde, Mooring dialect, Germany).  Perhaps we'll soon be reading more
North Frisian on Lowlands-L.

Lately many new subscribers have specified that they are interested in
improving their Dutch as a foreign language.  So, please do write in Dutch if
you can, folks!  Also, some have indicated that they want to be exposed to
Afrikaans, Low Saxon (Low German) and/or Scots.  So let's use those languages
too!  (I for one will be using Low Saxon whenever possible, and Low Saxon and
English whenever I have a bit of extra time.)

As always, thanks for being such a wonderful group of subscribers!

Regards,

Reinhard "Ron" Hahn
Lowlands-L

***

Repeated message:

Dear Lowlanders,

This coming Wednesday (November 17), the good people at LINGUIST will move all

lists to a new and better server and at the same time install a new and
improved version of the list server's software.  This will also ensure Y2K
compatibility.  This is what I was told:

"This will be a significant upgrade: the machine you will be moving to is a
Sun 450 2-Processor Server, which is much more powerful than the Sun Ultra
from which your lists are presently run."

Hopefully there will be no disruption, but if there are, they will be
temporary, and I ask that you bear with the inconvenience.  There will be no
changes in the way we operate, and all addresses will also remain the same.
Should you experience any technical problems with Lowlands-L specifically
after Wednesday, please report it so they can be addressed.

If there is any relevant news on that, I will pass them on to you.

Best regards,