LL-L: "Low Saxon" LOWLANDS-L, 22.NOV.1999 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 00:21:06 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.NOV.1999 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Reuben Epp [repp at silk.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Low Saxon" LOWLANDS-L,

From: Lowlands-L Administrator <sassisch at yahoo.com>
To: LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
<LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Date: 22/11/1999 7:41 AM
Subject: LL-L: "Low Saxon" LOWLANDS-L, 21.NOV.1999 (01) [E/German]

Eldo Neufeld quoted 'Institut für Niederdeutsche Sprache' as follows:

>"Etwa das von Ihnen angesprochene Nedersaksische ist dem
>Niederdeutschen sehr ähnlich, allein ist es eine niederländische
>Sprache." [Referring to my dialect Plautdietsch, about which I had
>asked.]  Then: "Insofern ist es naheliegend, in den Niederlanden
>eine Grammatik zum Nedersaksischen herauszubringen..."

I find it difficult to believe that someone at the 'Institut' would refer to
Plautdietsch as "niederländische Sprache!" In my opinion, it is a
West Prussian dialect of Low Saxon (Low German), containing a
few netherlandic elements.

Cheers!

Reuben Epp