LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 00:19:14 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Wilf Ratzburg [Wilf_Ratzburg at bcit.ca]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.1999 (01)

>>In Low Saxon (Low German), and under its influence also in Northern
German
>>dialect, there have been a couple of shifts in the terminology of
'crab'
>and
>>'shrimp'.
>>
>It appears that Lindow also lists 'Granaat' as a western Low Saxon word
 for
>'shrimp.'
>> It appears that Lindow also lists 'Granaat' as a western Low Saxon
word for
>> 'shrimp.'
>
>Thanks for the tip, Reuben.  Yes, indeed, I should have mentioned that,
 had been
>thinking of it only fleetingly when I mentioned the Dutch word.  To us
>"Oosterschen," _Granaat_ is a foreign word.

In our household (my parents and I were born in Bremen), it was ONLY
Granaat, and it referred to the tiny shrimp (as opposed to prawns --
which I don't ever remember seeing while living in Germany). In 1973, my
wife and I, while living and working in Bremen, took a weekend trip to a
small village on the Weser, north of Bremerhaven. Here we watched the
shrimp boats coming in -- the ONLY word used to describe these creatures
was Granaat.

Whenever I've used the term Granaat around other, non-Lowlander,
Germans, I've just been met by confused looks!

Cheers,
Wilf Ratzburg
West Vancouver, BC
Canada
frtzw906 at bcit.bc.ca

----------

From: Wilf Ratzburg [Wilf_Ratzburg at bcit.ca]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 08.OCT.1999 (05)

> "Shrimp" was a replacement for the sake of the "Yank" target
>audience.  In non-American English "shrimp" only refers to the tiny
critters,
>the kind you find in shrimp cocktails, the kind that would fall right
through
>the grill's grate and burn up in about two seconds.  The real word is
"prawn"
>([pro:n] in Australian) for the bigger kind (_Palaemonetes_), the kind
that in
>America tends to be called "jumbo shrimp" lately, "prawn" very rarely
and then
>mostly in "snooty" types of restaurants and gourmet shops.

PRAWN is good Canadian English. Jumbo Shrimp sounds like some kind of a
marketing slogan. Shrimp are small (Granaat <GRIN!>), and prawns are
jumbo.

Cheers,
Wilf Ratzburg
West Vancouver, BC