LL-L: "Specialized terms" LOWLANDS-L, 21.OCT.1999 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 23:04:44 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.OCT.1999 (05) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Kinship terms" LOWLANDS-L, 20.OCT.1999 (05) [E]

All,

I would add to this discussion only that I would only agree to a friend's
children calling me "uncle" if I was very, very close to the friend
(Proverbs 18:24 in fact says "a real friend is closer than a brother").
"Real friends" are very rare - it is interesting on this point that in
English we only have one common word for "friend" - in French, for example,
I can think of three, all with slightly different meanings.

Regards,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"