LL-L: "Specialized terms" LOWLANDS-L, 24.OCT.1999 (11) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 03:17:54 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.1999 (11) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Specialized terms" LOWLANDS-L, 21.OCT.1999 (05) [E]

Ian wrote:

>"Real friends" are very rare - it is interesting on this point that in
>English we only have one common word for "friend" - in French, for example,
>I can think of three, all with slightly different meanings.

Complicated in Scots by the fact that 'freind' traditionally means
'relative'. In Shetlandic there is the term 'bluidfreend' which makes it
explicit, but in my experience 'freend' is used with this meaning.

John M. Tait.