LL-L: "Multilingualism" LOWLANDS-L, 27.OCT.1999 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 21:28:26 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.OCT.1999 (06) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu
Subject: LL-L: "Multilingualism" LOWLANDS-L, 27.OCT.1999 (04) [E]

Responding to John Feather's:

Ron Hahn wrote:

> My overall
> conclusion is that, using appropriate learning/studying methods, you could
> reach your goal in about the same amount of time irrespective of which type
of
> language you study.

I am with Ron on this one.  Vocabulary may at first seem the most
daunting (and sometimes even the *only*) hurdle on the way to com-
mand of a language, and a certain overlap in vocabulary is then
seen to be an bonus which saves an enormous amount of time.  But
my experience has been that acquiring a working vocabulary is the
easiest step after which the true difficulty - and the beauty -
of the new language really starts.

The language I feel I have made most progress on in the shortest
time is Russian (that was 20 years ago and most of it is gone),
whereas (High-) German for many Dutch people is the most difficult
language to master properly.  If I hadn't lived there for 7 years
my German would be much poorer than it already is ...

Gustaaf