LL-L: "Multilingualism" LOWLANDS-L, 29.OCT.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 15:21:32 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.1999 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Multilingualism

Thanks for all the interesting replies to my questions.

I still have a problem with the English/German/French issue. I think the
answer may depend on what level of language achievement one is talking
about. Elementary French is quite alien to English speakers - especially
schoolchildren who don't (yet) have a great command of our "Latin"
vocabulary. I looked at a list of French words for parts of the body and
found that only 7 out of 73 were recognisable (and one of those was
"moustache"!). It must help a German learner that French has the same number
of "persons", that nouns and adjectives "agree" (sometimes), and that two
different (and equivalent) verbs are used for the perfect tense: vocabulary
isn't everything Once one has got through this first phase there are a lot
of Latinate terms in French which an English speaker can understand, so
perhaps progress speeds up, though of course active use presents some
problems faced by a German, say, learning Dutch: one may imagine that a word
is French when it isn't, or be fooled by those faux amis. I have never
learned any language to a high level (preferring quantity to quality) so to
go beyond this is speculation.

The point about learners having difficulty in getting native speakers to
correct them struck a chord with me. It doesn't just apply to minority
languages. I once worked with a Dutch woman who was working as a secretary
to improve her English so that she could teach it better. Her fellow
secretaries were no help with her difficulties because they always told her
that she was right. I was the only person who would tell her she was wrong!

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk