LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 10.SEP.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 22:04:28 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: bryans at northnet.net
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 10.SEP.1999 (01)

At 09:05 AM 9/10/99 -0700, you wrote:

Regarding the English word 'stove'.

Webster's International Dictionary with references to History pub. 1923

AngloSaxon - stofa: a room for a warm bath
Danish-      stoof: a room for a warm bath to a foot stove
Swedish-     stufva, stuga
Italian-     stufa: a room with a stove
Old French-  estuve

Generally an artificially heated house, room or space.  It is interesting
to see the geographic dispersion(Sweden/France) of this word as it retained
its general form.

In this dictionary, the history of English is traced to include what is
referred to as Old Low German.  I'm sure there are scholarly scoffs but
could someone tell me if this is related to Lowland?

Bryan E. Schulz