LL-L: "Technological heritage" [A/D/E] LOWLANDS-L, 18.SEP.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 01:33:19 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Peter Stornebrink [frlboppe at direct.ca]
Subject: LL-L: "Technological heritage" (was "Etymology") [A]
LOWLANDS-L,              16.SEP.1999 (02)

Elsie Zinsser wrote:

>From: $ Elsie Zinsser [ezinsser at simpross.co.za]
>Subject: LL-L: "Voetstofie" (was 'Etymology') [A/D] LOWLANDS-L, 16.SEP.1999
>
>>De stoof die wij gebruikten was ook van hout gemaakt en de binnenkant van
>>het bovenste hout waerd langzamerhand zwart van de hitte door de bestraling
>>van de kolen. Aan de buitenkant merkte men daar niets van want het hout was
>>heel normaal.
>
>Van watter houtsoort is julle stofie gemaak? Kan jy onthou?
>
>My ma se voetstofie is van geelhout gemaak, 'n houtsoort wat slegs in
>die klammer Suid-Wes Kaap groei. Na 'n eeu is die hout so glad soos seep.
>My pa kan nie onthou dat enige familielid ooit sulke voetverwarmers in
>die warmer Noord-Weste gebruik het nie. Die 'hout' daar bestaan meesal uit
>doringagtige struike, rietbossies of hollerige kokerbome.
>
> Groete!
>
>Elsie Z.

Elsie,

Ik ben niet bekend met et houtsoort waarvan de stoven werden gemaakt. Wel
weet ik dat het een hard soort hout was (hardwood rather than softwood)
zoals je waarschijnlijk wel zou verwachten.

Groeten,

Peter Stornebrink, Victoria B.C., Canada

----------

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Thechnological heritage" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 17.SEP.1999 (03)

Aaagh! I knew that starting evening classes in Dutch this year was too
late, when I saw the original post, and couldn't read it!.

OK, I assume that it was about comparing terminology for technical
items?  That is a big part of my job! (I'm a museum curator).  We spend
hours devising thesauri of objects, material terms, etc. etc.  Because
material culture from around the world is studied in museums, it is not
unusual for museums to have thesauri which include terms from the
language(s) of the original makers and users.  So, if this is what the
original question was about, let me know, and I will let you have
addresses of websites and mailing lists that might help.