LL-L: "Double negative" [Ap/E] LOWLANDS-L, 19.SEP.1999 (02)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 18:21:32 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Double negative" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 14.SEP.1999 (05)

Ian wrote:

>From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
>Subject: LL-L: "Double negative" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 14.SEP.1999 (04)
>
>The "double negative" certainly exists in Ulster-Scots. It is generally used
>to emphasize a negation, though it is occasionally almost obligatory (e.g.
>"naeboadie cudna be obeyan", where the 'na' negative particle follows an
>already negative subject).

Although Scottish Scots has a double negative (for emphasis, not regular as
in Afrikaans) in some circumstances, the expression 'naebodie cudna' sounds
very odd to me, and I would tend to interpret it as equivalent to
'everybody could'. Any other Scots speakers like to comment?

John M. Tait.

----------

From: Richard L Turner [fr.andreas at juno.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Double negative" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 17.SEP.1999 (04)

Hey Ar!

Aa'm sorry te have bin se long away fum the discussion, but Aa bin honest
busy an hate te come a-borryin coals ifn Aa got aught te say. Hit's
unseemly.

Hit's the rhythm o speech an hit's euphony as demands the occasional use
o the double negative in Appalachian. Arn is a spoken langage an not no
written one, but fer a very few instances. Hit has a kaand o melody te
hit.

Now Aa'm a-goin off again, sinst ma bishop done give me three month rest
fer te red up ma soul. Aa'll be a-fastin fum all unnecessary
communication, and this is jest sech a thang. Aa hope te be back towards
the end o December, God willin, and Aa'll howdy yuins when Aa re-up.

Bless yir haurts,
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

P.S.
If you'll read this letter aloud, forcing all of the vowels therein to
the center of the mouth, you will very nearly be able to approximate both
the vowels and the glide before labial and dental consonants that is
necessary for the speaking of my native tongue.