LL-L: "Technological heritage" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 21.SEP.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 14:43:44 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.SEP.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Jan De Craemere [rycobel at compuserve.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Technological heritage" [D/E/LS] LOWLANDS-L, 20.SEP.1999 (03)

Ron wrote:

>This is about an old-time carrying device and its name, both in Low Saxon
(Low
>German) and other Lowlands languages.  I want to call it _Dracht_ but am
not
>sure if this is correct.   (_Dracht_ (< _dragt_ < /drag-d/) -- related to
>/draag-/ 'to carry' -- also means (1) '(regional) costume' or (2) 'that
which is
>carried/borne (e.g., by vehicles, by beasts of burden, or by trees)').

I think we called this a 'juk' or 'jok' in West Flanders. (English: yoke?)

Jan De Craemere.

----------

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Technological heritage

Ron

You asked about}
>> a "glorified" version of what in Eastern Asia tends to be simply a bamboo
carrying pole that rests on one or both shoulders (oftentimes on padding)
and usually has at each end a suspended bucket or basket in which goods are
transported<<

In English it's a "yoke" - the same word as for the device which oxen push
against to pull a cart. Much used by milkmaids.

John Feather
johnfeather at freeserve.co.uk

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Thanks for the info above, Jan and John.

'Yoke' is _Jück_ [(d)jYk] (neuter, pl. _Jücks_) or _Jöck_ [(d)j{oe}k] (neuter,
pl. _Jöcks_) in North Saxon (cf. German _Joch_).  Also, (/klaav/) _Klaaf_
[klQ:f]  (masculine, pl. _Klaven_ ['klQv=m]) or _Klaben_ ['klQ:bm] (masculine,
pl. _Klaben_ ~ _Klabens_?), originally 'large piece of split-off wood', is
used apparently especially in reference to bovines.  However, I do not know if
either of these is used to refer to the carrying device humans use.