LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 11.APR.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 17:32:30 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.APR.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Gerald F Tighe [gftighe2 at artphotoprints.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 11.APR.2000 (01) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Place names
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
> Is there really a place called "Borstal" in Kent, England?  I cannot find it
> on my maps.  According to etymological sources, an institution in Borstal,
> Kent, is the basis of the generally used British English word 'borstal',

Yes. It is southeast of Rochester, southwest of Chatham, and even further
north of
Maidston. This from plate 14 C2 of 1989 Bartholomew Road Atlas (3 miles: 1
inch)
The 1986 Oxford Reference gives:
"Borstal n. the former name for an institution for reforming and training
young
offenders. [f. Borstal in Kent]"

Regards

Gerald

http://artphotoprints.com  (Updated April 10 2000)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Place names

Thanks, Gerald.

In the meantime, I also found this at
<http://www.infoplease.com/ce5/CE006913.html>:

"Borstal system
rehabilitation method in Great Britain for delinquent boys aged 16 to 21. The
idea originated (1895) with the Gladstone Committee as an attempt to reform
young offenders. The first institution was established (1902) at Borstal
Prison, Kent, England. Main elements in the Borstal programs include
education, regular work, vocational training, and group counseling. Those
showing sufficient improvement are paroled to the Central After-Care
Association, which supervises them during the period after release. Some
Borstals, such as Lowdham Grange, are open, having no walls or gates. See also
juvenile delinquency.

Bibliography:
See Brendan Behan, Borstal Boy (1958); Roger Hood, Borstal Re-Assessed
(1965)."

This takes care of the origin of the British English noun 'borstal'.  It still
leaves us with the question as to the etymology of the English place name
"Borstal" and, if related, the North German one "Borstel."