LL-L: "Levity" LOWLANDS-L, 14.APR.2000 (02) [E/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 22:48:21 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.APR.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Jasmin Harvey [jharvey at ucla.edu]
Subject: LL-L: "Levity" LOWLANDS-L, 14.APR.2000 (01) [E]

At 07:42 AM 4/14/00 -0700, you wrote:

>From: gdeutsch at estec.esa.nl
>
>For those few whose capability of understanding Scottish is too limited -
>could Jasmin Harvey's Groaner  be explained, please?

I'm afraid I don't understand all the Scots myself (though the word
"sonsie" has a peculiar resonance for me, whatever it means).  The joke is
that instead of answering Her Majesty, the Scottish people responding to
her questions do so by quoting random lines of Burns' poetry -- hence, the
Burns Unit. Ordinarily, the Burns Unit in a hospital is the ward devoted to
burn victims, of course, as the health care industry generally is apathetic
about their patients' poetic preferences.  In the US, anyhow.

Jasmin Harvey
GTC, Rolfe/Campbell Administrative Group
jharvey at ucla.edu