LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 19.APR.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 19:19:36 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Names

Dear Lowlanders,

This morning I bumped into someone with an interesting, clearly Lowlandic
surname.  I made the remark that it must be originally Dutch, which seems to
have surprised her a little.  It turns out that she and her sister are keen on
learning more about it.  Because there seems to be both a Dutch and a Scottish
connection, please allow me to ask for any input you may have.

The name in question is "Goudelock".  Obviously, it is derived from Dutch
_Goudelok_ < _goud+e_ (< _gold+e_) 'golden' + _lok_ 'lock (of hair)', 'curl'.
Why Dutch?  The shift /...old/ > /...oud/ or /...olt/ > /...out/ is a
typically Dutch phenomenon (which was passed on to Afrikaans), e.g., _old_ >
_oud_ 'old', _gold_ > _goud_ 'gold', _holt_ > _hout_ 'wood(s)'.

A web search brought up no "Goudelok" in the Dutch-speaking areas of the
world, but when I looked for "Goudlok" I found several persons by that name in
the Netherlands.  I suppose "Goudlok" is the expected derivation from older
Dutch "Goudelok", considering also Modern Dutch diminutive "Goudlokje" for
"Goldilocks" in the fairytale ("Goudlokje en de Drie Beren" = "Goldilocks and
the Three Bears").

My web search clearly points toward a Scottish and Scottish American
connection.  The name "Goudelock" is not uncommon in both Scotland and
Northamerica.  At this point, my assumption is that it is one of those names
that were introduced to Scotland through immigration from the Low Countries.
Allow me to quote from our own Andy Eagle's "Wir Ain Leid"
(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/K27/) in reference to the
development of the Scots language in Scotland:

"In the twelfth century extensive trade took place between the eastern
seaboard of Scotland and the Low Countries. Trading colonies were established
in Low Countries and similarly many traders and craftspeople from the Low
Countries settled in Scotland. They too enriched the vocabulary of Scots with
Dutch and Low Saxon loans."

I assume that this is the era in which Dutch (and Low Saxon?) surnames as well
as surnames referring to persons from the Low Countries where introduced to
Scotland, such as Menzies and Fleming.  I am wondering if Goudelock belongs to
the same category.  I am not so sure when the shift /...oud/ > /...old/ took
place in Dutch.  I have a feeling that it was after the 12th century.  So this
name may have been introduced to Scotland much later, perhaps as late as in
the 16th or 17th century.

If my theory pans out, we are dealing with a Dutch name introduced via
Scotland to North America.  There is an extra step: the Ms. Goudelok I spoke
with is African American.  As most of you know, African Americans tended to
acquire European surnames in various ways, including through intermarriage,
through personal choice, or through inheritance from their slave ancestors who
were given their "owner's" surnames.

I would be interested to know if any of you has any further information on
this.

Thanks, and regards,