LL-L: "Songs" LOWLANDS-L, 26.APR.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 17:58:39 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Dirk Baack [baack at tu-harburg.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Songs" (was "Online resources") LOWLANDS-L,26.APR.2000 (02)[E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Songs
schnipp
> The shanty "Flying P-Line"
> (http://www.acronet.net/~robokopp/Lieder/wifohrt.html), by the way, starts off
> in Low Saxon and then goes on in German, and it seems to refer to a British or
> American shipping line.
schnapp

IMHO a German shipping line. (Reederei F. Laeisz)
Names of their ships used to start with letter "P",
like Pamir, Passat, Padua, Pola,  Priwall, Preussen, ... .

Dirk
| Dirk Baack                   | Tel.  :    +49-40-42878-2638       |
| TU Hamburg-Harburg   AB 4-04 | Fax   :    +49-40-42878-2489       |
| Technische Informatik III    | e-mail:    baack at tu-harburg.de     |
| Schwarzenbergstraße 95       |                                    |
| D-21071 Hamburg,  Germany    | http://www.ti3.tu-harburg.de/baack |

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Thanks a lot for the pointer, Dirk.

I checked on the web and found this at
http://infa.abo.fi/~fredrik/sships/laeisz.html:

***

Reederei F. Laeisz, Hamburg

The Flying P-line

Reederei F. Laeisz was founded by Ferdinand Laeisz, born in 1801 in Hamburg.
His first ship was the brig Carl, built by J. Meyer for Laeisz in 1839. It was
named after Ferdinand's son Carl Ferdinand. When Carl started to help his
father with the business in 1852, more ships were built and the shipping
company grew quickly. In 1862 a barque was ordered and delivered from Stülcken
shipyard. It was named the Pudel, because Carl's wife Sophie was called Pudel
amongst family members. After that all new ships that were built for Laeisz
got a name starting with the letter P, thus the nickname The Flying P-line.
After 1880 also ships that were bought second-hand were given a name starting
with the letter P.

Carl Laeisz put his ships on the South American nitrate trade.

Meine Schiffe können und sollen schnelle Reisen machen (My ships can and shall
make fast voyages), Carl Laeisz said. And his ships were indeed fast, strong,
and very well equipped.

In 1912 Carl's sons Herbert Ferdinand and Erich Ferdinand took over the
company, but Herbert was a victim of the first World War, so between the wars
Erich ran the company by himself. He died shortly after World War II.

Most of the ships that Laeisz ordered were built by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg,
and a great number also by Tecklenborg, Geestemünde. The most famous of the
P-liners, as the ships were called, are their only five-masted barque, the
Potosi, their tremendous five-masted full-rigged ship, the Preussen, and
finally the last ships they ordered; the eight sister ships. These ships
have been called the greatest sailing ships ever built, and the ultimate cargo
carriers under sail. They were built for the tough voyage around Cape Horn
westwards.

***

According to this, the shanty in question cannot be older than about 150
years.