LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 03.AUG.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 15:35:46 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.AUG.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: "Software localization" LOWLANDS-L, 02.AUG.2000 (01) [E]

Ron Hahn wrote (LOWLANDS-L, 02.AUG.2000(01)):

> Even though I agree with Ian in that wild dialect mixing would be
likely to
> lead to wild confusion, I also feel that adherance to a single
dialect in
> standardization is too restrictive and is also likely to cause
resentment on
> the part of speakers of other dialects.

Yes, I didn't quite mean as strictly as that. Firstly, I meant that a
standard would be *based* on a single dialect, but not necessarily
entirely created from it. Secondly, I agree with you an Henry
regarding "soft standards", and would suggest that initially we are
talking about "guidelines" rather than wholesale standardization.

> I agree with Ian that grammar standardization would be an important
> component.  However, this soft approach would solve, at least
initially,
> dilemmas such having to decide for instance which present tense
plural verbal
> suffix to use in Low Saxon: (1) -t (e.g., _wie hebbt_ 'we have',
_jie leert_
> 'you study/teach', _se kaamt_ 'they come') or (2) -en (e.g., _wie
hebben_ 'we
> have', _jie leren_ 'you study/teach', _se kamen_ 'they come'),
distribution
> being somewhere in the vicinity of 50%-50% among the dialects.  In
this
> approach you would allow both forms as a matter of choice.

Well, this happens in "major" languages two - consider the past
subjunctive in Spanish, where two equally acceptable forms remain.

> I think that such a more flexible approach would also have some
psychological
> benefits.  What I have gathered from discussions is that many or
most Low
> Saxon speakers seem to fear that standardization would result in the
death of
> their dialects and of the writing in their dialects.

Well, during the "propaganda" that Henry rightly spoke of, it would be
necessary to indicate that the standard would be for use only a) in
formal documents (such as government publications) or b) where writers
of two very different dialects were seeking to understand each other.
In informal writing (poems, stories, letters to speakers of similar
dialects etc.) local conventions would remain.

Best wishes,
Ian James Parsley