LL-L: "Language conflicts" LOWLANDS-L, 06.AUG.2000 (03) [E/Gaelic]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 22:00:37 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 06.AUG.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Language conflicts" LOWLANDS-L, 01.AUG.2000 (02) [E]

At 07:15 01/08/00 -0700, Ian James Parsley wrote:
>I (Colin Wilson) wrote:
>> what's really needed is a more detailed investigation into the
>> degree to which Scots language-forms have been retained, and how widely,

>> and in which areas.
>
>Absolutely, an investigation which qualified linguists with an excellent
>grounding in Scots would carry out. Not civil servants with no
>qualifications.

This is from Brude mac Maelcon's column in the current edition (August's)
of the Scots Independent.

"Tha dà aithisg chudthromach air tighinn a-mach anns a' Chùirn am
bliadhna. Tha an t-Ollamh Coinneach MacFhionghuin air aithisg
sgoilearach a sgrìobhadh mun Chòrnais airson Oifis an Riaghaltais
san Iar-Dheas. Tha an Oifis a' feuchainn ri poileasaidh a
dhealbhachadh airson na cànain as dèidh dhan Riaghaltas làmh a chur
ri Cùmhnant Eòrpach nam Mion-Chànain. Tha an aithisg làn
fhiosrachaidh mu shaoghal na Còrnais mar a tha i an-dràsda agus
mar a bha i 'san àm a dh'fhalbh. Tha aithisg MhicFhionghuin ri
fhaighinn air an eadar-lìon aig
http://www.gosw.gov.uk/publications/Cornish/studycover.htm"
(article continues)

My translation:

Two important reports have appeared in Cornwall this year.
Professor Kenneth MacKinnon has written an academic report about
the Cornish language for the Government Office for the South West.
The Office is trying to plan a policy for the language after the
government's signing of the European Charter for Regional and
Minority Languages. The report is full of information about the
position of Cornish as it is now, and as it was in the past.
MacKinnon's report is available on the Internet at
http://www.gosw.gov.uk/publications/Cornish/studycover.htm"

The obvious point emerging from this is how the British government
is taking seriously its responsibilities in relation to a language
for which it has signed part 2 of the Charter - the same part that
it has signed for Scots.

>>From my limited personal acquaintance with Professor MacKinnon, I
know that his main research interest is in Scottish Gaelic, which
he has also learned to speak.

I wonder if he'd be interested in doing anything like this for
Scots? I wonder how much he'd want for it?

Colin Wilson.

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
writin fae Aiberdein           an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre