LL-L: "Historical linguistics" LOWLANDS-L, 10.AUG.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 14:51:47 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.AUG.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Historical linguistics"

Roger Thijs wrote about <dzj>

> dzj:    dzjoe.mp "stomp, duw": d + zj, zoals in Eng.
> Jim.
> Would you consider the J of Jim as two consonants or
> as a single one?
> In my little English dictionary one writes indeed dz
> (the z has a tail) for the phonetics.

In English, the J of Jim etc. is a single phoneme,
likewise the <ch> of church.  In German, on the other
hand, dsch and tsch are clusters of /dZ/ and /tS/.
Linguists have largely settled on writing both parts
of these sounds:  [dZ] and [tS] (that's as close as
email will let me write that, of course), but in
languages where they function as one consonant,
linguists (usually) underline them to indicate that
they are a single phoneme.
Come to think of it, [dZ] will be three phonemes in
some languages: d+z+j.

Stefan Israel
stefansfeder at yahoo.com