LL-L: "Language maintenance" LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 16:00:00 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Language maintenance" LOWLANDS-L, 10.AUG.2000 (10) [E]

Dear all,

This is just a short note that I thought might be an
interesting addition to the subject of language
maintenance from my own experience. I just wondered if
any one else here has had similar experiences with
their own language(s).

As I've said, my second language is Irish Gaelic. I
taught this to myself over a two-year period whilst I
lived in Cornwall. Unfortunately, no-one I know has
any knowledge of the language and as a result I have
been unable to use the tongue to any great degree. A
further consequence of isolated language learning is
that I have a complete lack of confidence in writing
Irish, although I can speak it fluently. I have a
paranoid irrational fear that my Irish is terrible,
and that the lack of everyday use has corrupted my
knowledge. As such I am unable - or, rather, unwilling
- to write the language.

There are no resources locally or opportunites to
interact with Irish speakers, and I just wondered what
other minority language speakers' experiences are when
they move away from a Low Saxon- or Frisian-speaking
area, and the feelings of those whose languages are a
minority in their own territory, such as North
Frisian.

I would assert that a lack of self-esteem and social
mores have contributed to the reticence of Scots
speakers to write in Scots. In addition to Irish, I
have a problem with my own local language which has no
written form: therefore a Nottingham English speaker
has to use standard English as her or his medium of
written communication, and this can adversely affect
their ability to write exactly what they want,
particularly as a number of grammatical constructions
that are the foundation of Nottingham English - such
as [aij: si:jn:] where standard English uses 'I saw'
and [aij: jaen: no^ ne^v@: d at n: i^] for 'I haven't
ever done such a thing' - are considered particularly
'incorrect English'.

So, any experiences? How does a language survive
without a literary form?

Thanks,

Criostoir.