LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 12.AUG.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 19:28:49 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Standardization

Henry wrote:

>[In Dutch] -a is also used for the plural of stadion (-> stadia).<

Van Dale, 10th edition, has "stadia" (or "stadiums") as the plural of
"stadium". It says that "stadion" [E. "stadium", pl. "stadia" or "stadiums]

has only the pl. "stadions". Do I need to buy a later edition? I don't want

to if I can avoid it because I believe that the next one was in 3 volumes
and my rotating lectern will only hold 2!

"Stadium" is, of course, the Latinized form of Gr. "stadion".

BTW, the "Dutch" pl. form in " 's" is much used by London greengrocers, who

write "potato's" and "tomato's".

Regarding Kent's comment on the Swedish letters ä, ö, å, the E. word
"vowel"
can mean either a sound or a letter. I can't see any logical reason for not

using the term "accented vowel" to mean a letter with an accent. That
apart,
German would have the option of writing "ae" for "ä", and Danes could
presumably revert to "aa" in order not to simply abandon "their" letter for

an international one. I guess Swedes don't have such options.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]

Henry includes in his vowel classification:

>03 [a:] (e.g. Dutch _baas_ or Australian _part_)
04 [a:.] (extra-long version of 1)
08 [Q:] (or [O:], e.g. "posh" British/South African _part_)
09 [Q:.] (extra-long version of 4)
12 [oU] (e.g. _go_ in most English and American varieties)<

There's obviously a danger in trying to represent fine distinctions in one
language by reference to other languages.

Re 03: There are surely variations in the Dutch pronunciation of "baas" and

the Australian pronunciation of "part". To my ear, the vowel of Aus. "part"

is also more fronted.

Re 04: "Version of 3"?

Re 08: Presumably should be "posh English".

Re 09: Presumably "version of 8"

Re 12: I hear American "go" as distinctively different from English English

(Is there a better way to say this?) pronunciations, which in any case
differ very widely. I think the first element in AmE tends to be more
closed.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk