LL-L: "Fonts" LOWLANDS-L, 20.AUG.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 23:21:28 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 20.AUG.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Alphabets"

I've been trying to find an HTML code to represent the
Scots letter "yoch". This is rather like a cursive "z"
with a tail. I've tried the extended HTML character set
with no success - I tried Greek letters, and tried various
sizes and styles of subscript and superscript 3 but none
look any good!

Finally, I resorted to doing it as a little GIF (go to
http://scotstext.org/Factual/Sermons/yuletide.asp and
search for "brul" if you're interested in seeing what
I'm aiming for). This looks fine, except that it's not
easy to get a descender when combining text and graphics
like this, and besides, I'd also like to be able to italicise
it, so it would be much better as an actual HTML character.

Is anyone working with Scots aware of a character code that
would make this possible? Considering how multinational the
web character sets are supposed to be these days, I can't
help thinking that this must be available, but just hasn't
been included on standard lists!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
  Things in this subloonary warld bein far frae
perfeck, 'No that bad' is the maist that mortal
man can venture tae say while here ablo.
             - Catherine P. Slater, 'Marget Pow'