LL-L: "Fonts" LOWLANDS-L, 26.AUG.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 20:21:55 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Fonts"

> From: Andy Eagle [Andy.Eagle at t-online.de]
> Subject: LL-L: "Fonts" LOWLANDS-L, 20.AUG.2000 (05) [E]
>
> Sandy wrote:
>
> > Subject: "Alphabets"
> >
> > I've been trying to find an HTML code to represent the
> > Scots letter "yoch". This is rather like a cursive "z"
> > with a tail. I've tried the extended HTML character set
> > with no success - I tried Greek letters, and tried various
> > sizes and styles of subscript and superscript 3 but none
> > look any good!
>
> Mixing graphics and text has its problems. I may make the
> graphics the same
> size as the text is displayed on my computer, but if others have
different
> settings then it doesn't work (as well).

I didn't think of that - I've experimented with it since, and
you're right!

> http://www.bitstream.com (I can't vouch for these URLs).

This is the only page with real solutions. After experimenting
with the trial downloads, however, I'm not too happy. The fact
is that Netscrape and Microserf haven't yet got their acts
together on this, and no solution was offered for other browsers
anyway (unless the IE one happens to work for some others too).

Colin has pointed me to Leeds University as a source for fonts
containing yoghs, and I've found one complete one available for
download at http://www.leeds.ac.uk/iss/applications/fonts.html
This is a 40K .tff download called "LeedsTime Medieval4". It's
a rather smudgy-looking font (quite nice really) which you could
of course use in your wordprocessor or anything if you wanted to
use yoghs - the yogh itself combines not too badly with Times
New Roman, if you don't like the Leeds font itself.

As for ScotsteXt, I've replaced the graphic with this yogh, at
least while the "new wave" of texts are in draft form, but the
only way you can view it just now is to download that font and
set it as your browser default! Otherwise you'll see a Greek
"mu"! It's _not_ worth doing unless you're really interested.
Meanwhile I'll write to Leeds Uni to request permission to make
the font available for download on ScotsteXt. I'll also keep my
eye open for a better solution to the problem (and I'm sure Andy
will too!).

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he