LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 17.DEC.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 17 20:55:28 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 17.DEC.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Margaret Tarbet [oneko at mindspring.com]
Subject: Etymology

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:17:54 -0800, Ron wrote:

>I noticed the word _kist_.
> I wonder if this is a Dutch loanword (considering
>"Flemish" immigration to Scotland), or if it is perhaps a Low Saxon
>loanword (considering apparent medieval connections between the Hanseatic
>Trading League and Scottish ports).

OE/AS/Norse, possibly?   Along with bairn, kirk, gowk, haugh,....

Margaret

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Interesting, Margaret!  Thanks.

This may be a case in point of arguing that one ought not assume that Scots
borrowed something just because English does not have it or does not have
it in this form.

Yes, Old English had _cest_ and _cyst_, which developed into _chest_ in
Modern English.  You also mentioned Scots _kirk_ (vs English _church_) from
Old English _cir(i)ce_, apparently another case in which Scots retained the
/k/ stop before a high vowel, while English palatalized it (now _ch_).  Can
anyone think of other such instances?

Old Norse had _kista_ for 'chest', which Modern Icelandic still has.