LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 21.DEC.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 17:20:42 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.DEC.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 18.DEC.2000 (01) [E]

Hello Lowlands-L

Ron schreev / wrote:

> Weett wen mank Ju, waar dat Woord "Adebaar" vun afkümmt?  Up Nedderlandsch
> un Afrikaans is't verwandt: _ooievaar_.  Man in annere germaansche
> Spraken?  T.B. ingelsch _stork_, düütsch _Storch_, ieslandsch _storkur_,
> deensch/norweegsch/sweedsch _stork_.  (Freessch?)  In düütsche Mundaarden
> kann 'n ook "Adebar" seggen, man bloots in'n Noorden, un dat kümmt sachs
> vun use Spraak af.
>
> Does any of you know the origin of the Low Saxon (Low German) word
> _Adebaar_ 'stork'?  In Dutch and Afrikaans it is related: _ooievaar_.  But
> in other Germanic languages?  E.g. English _stork_, German _Storch_,
> Icelandic _storkur_, Danish/Norwegian/Swedish _stork_.  (Frisian?)  Some
> German dialects also use _Adebar_, but only in the North, and I assume it
> is Low-Saxon-derived.
> Thanks and regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Ik dach, Adebar is de Naam vun de Stork in Reineke Voss un in de Fabeln? Ik
wöör op Platt "Stork" seggen, in een schreven Text wöör ik jümmers an een
besünnern Stork dinken.

I believed, "Adebar" is the name of the stork in "Reineke Voss" and in the
fables? In Low Saxon I would say "stork", in a written text I would always
think of a special stork.

Fröhliche Wiehnachten! Merry Christmas! Godt Jul!

Anja

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Anja,

I did mention that some dialects use _Stork_.  As far as I know, _Adebaar_ is
the *normal* word for 'stork' in the majority of Low Saxon (Low German)
dialects, just as related _ooievaar_ is the *normal* and probably only word
for 'stork' in Dutch and Afrikaans.  In those language varieties it is not
just the name of the stork character in stories as it is in your dialect and
in many German dialects.

Does any of you know about the dialectal distribution of _Adebaar_ (etc.) vs
_Stork_ (etc.) as the actual word denoting 'stork' (not a story name for
storks)?

I also wonder if the use of _Stork_ is inherent in all dialects that use it or
if it is due to German (_Storch_) or Dano-Jutish (_stork_) influence in some
cases (including German- or Scandinavian-inspired reinforcement of _Stork_
where _Adebaar_ and _Stork_ coexisted).  Or might this be a case in which
_stork_ was the original word and _Adebaar_ was one of those Old Germanic
literary "nicknames" (e.g., "wetlands walker") that later became the actual
word for 'stork' in certain dialects?  (Old Norse literature is full of such
"nicknames.")