LL-L: "Online resources" LOWLANDS-L, 22.DEC.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 22:41:56 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.DEC.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L: "Online resources" LOWLANDS-L, 21.DEC.2000 (05) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Online resources"
>
> I get a problem with the PDF files - I get an error saying it can't
> find or create the font. As a result I can't see the IPA symbol for
> the sound of the letter "l" or for the sound of the letter "j".

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Online resources
>
> The latest version is 4.05.  But I don't know if you would not have had
> the problem with it.  I used someone elses computer with version 3.0 to
> view the pages and had the same problems you reported.  The reason is
> that for some characters (i.e., the "thick" l, and the d3 digraph) I
> had used a different font, or a different set of the same Lucida IPA
> font.  On someone else's computer the viewer gave me an error message,
> saying that it could not display that font because it was not
> available.  And here I was naively believing that PDF files are a kind
> of postscript file and that one of their advantages is that they are
> independent re font inventories at the reading end, that they are
> electronic prints, so to speak, that do not need to load fonts!

The issue here is that Acrobat Reader knows about "standard" fonts
(essentially the standard PostScript set) which are named in the PDF
file, whereas non-standard fonts either need to be avialable as a
non-default resource on the "reading" computer, or need to have their font
definitions embedded in the PDF file (just as in a PostScript file). This
would apply to IPA fonts, on the vast majority of computers!

If Reader fails to recognise a font which is named in the file, it may
try to find a substitute font which more or less matches what it
thinks the requested font should look like or, failing that, may
substitute a default font (often Helvetica).

You can find out what Reader thinks is going on when it displays
a PDF file by clicking on File->Document Info->Fonts, which throws
up an info panel. Under "Original Font" is a column of the font
names requested in the document; under "Used Font" is a column
of the font names that Reader is displaying, For standard fonts
these should be the same. Otherwise it's pot-luck.

If the reading computer's installation of Reader has the requested
fonts available, then there should be no problem, but this cannot
be assumed for a PDF file posted on a Web page for anyone to read.

The moral is that, when the PDF file is created, precautions need
to be taken to ensure that non-standard font definitions are included
in the PDF file. If the file was converted to PDF from a PostScript file
which had the fonts embedded (so that the PS file could be viewed as
intended on any PS viewer/printer) it may still happen that the
converting software will not automatically include them -- it depends
on the converting software, and also on how this has been set up.

You are correct, Ron, in a general way that "PDF files are a kind
of postscript file and that one of their advantages is that they are
independent re font inventories at the reading end, that they are
electronic prints, so to speak, that do not need to load fonts!".
They don't -- provided the fonts are either standard, or else embedded
(exactly as for PostScript). In fact they tend to go one better
in that _something_ will be substituted for an unrecognised font,
which will at least be readable, though aesthetically wrong, for
text in a Latin alphabet; but for other alphabets and symbols the
result would of course not even be readable. Most PostScript
viewers will not substitute anything, and will either fail to
display the document at all, or will display blanks.

I hope this clarifies it!

Best wishes to all for Happy Christmases, Hanukkas, New Years,
or whatever else applies!

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749
Date: 22-Dec-00                                       Time: 16:15:05