LL-L: "Folklore" LOWLANDS-L, 27.DEC.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 15:57:49 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.DEC.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Brian Frerichs [frerichs at midwest.net]
Subject: Santa
Hello List,

At Christmas my grandmother referred to Santa as "Skaskientje", as in "wat
hett Skaskientje di broch".  Has anyone heard of this term, and if so could
you give me a correct or acceptable spelling?

Thank you,
Brian Frerichs

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Folklore

Brian, Lowlanders,

I wasn't sure if I should publish this under "Etymology" or "Folklore."  Much
depends on which way this will develop.

Brian, you asked about _Skaskientje_ for 'Santa Claus', 'Father Christmas'.
Unfortunately, I have never heard of it but am very curious to know about it.

Let's just clarify something for the rest of the subscribers:

* I am fairly confident it is Low Saxon/Low German you are talking about.  Is
this correct?

* I also assume that your grandmother and you were somewhere in North America
at the time.  Right?  If so, in the Midwest?

(I am getting quite interested in special features of North American Low Saxon
language and culture.)

This reminds me to ask everyone about the Low Saxon (Low German) name _Kujees_
([k`u'jEIs]?) for 'Santa Claus', 'Father Christmas'.  I found it in Lindow's
dictionary.  Apparently it is specific to the Low Saxon/Low German dialect of
Finkwarder/Finkenwerder.  (Finkwarder/Finkenwerder is now a part of the German
state of Hamborg/Hamburg, started off as a somewhat isolated fishing village,
and has a very distinct dialect.)  Lindow says _Kujees_ developed from
_Kindjees_, corresponding to German _(Christ-)Kind(chen)_ ("Christchild,"
which especially in Southern Germany is the bringer of Christmas gifts).
Really?!  Why the seeming plural, and why a long vowel or diphthong?