LL-L: "Semantics" (was "Folklore") LOWLANDS-L, 28.DEC.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 15:39:31 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.DEC.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Margaret Tarbet [oneko at mindspring.com]
Subject: US-English Usage (was Folklore)

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:09:19 -0800,
john feather wrote:

>What difference is there in the USA between the usage's of the words "trash"
>and "garbage"?

In the North Central part of the US (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, the
Dakotas), and seemingly in the Boston Massachusetts area, 'garbage'
refers to food wastes, trash to other solids such as paper, etc.  If
it will stink up the place, it's garbage.  If it will make a
relatively clean fire, it's trash.  There seems to be no class or
other stratifiers involved.

Margaret

-----

From: Richard L Turner [fr.andreas at juno.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Folklore" LOWLANDS-L, 27.DEC.2000 (03) [E]

Hello.

     John Feather wrote to ask the difference in American English usage
between "trash" and "garbage."
     John, there's only a subtle difference between them in American
English. The American Heritage Dictionary lists each as synonymous with
the other in its first entries for both, but Garbage does carry the added
distinction of being primarily food waste and Trash that of being from
non-food sources, originally from the pruning of trees and shrubs. I do
find that distinction in my own use of the terms. One thinks of trash
wood (odd bits) and even of trash fish (carp), but never of garbage wood
or of garbage fish. There is no redeeming of garbage, but there's yet
some hope for trash. Trash is merely culls, not spoilage or offal.
     Since most of our refuse is a mixed lot until we begin to compost
our garbage and to recycle our trash conscientiously, I think she was
having you on. The hateful old thing.

     Here's hoping that none of you will be carrying out ashes on New
Year's Day (a sure way to attract the direst misfortune), and that those
who endulge in such will enjoy their black-eyed peas and collard greens
cooked with hog jowls. I know I will! Mmm! And good old buttermilk
cornbread! And pecan pie, too!

Best regards,
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.