LL-L: "English" LOWLANDS-L, 01.FEB.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 19:28:31 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.FEB.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "English" LOWLANDS-L, 31.JAN.2000 (05) [E]

I currently am without television, but I think (from memory of trailers
a few months ago) that it is Black Country.

The dialect poet Harry Harrison has one poem titled 'The Ossiz Um Gooin'
(i.e. The Horses are Going')  But it isn't universal across the West
Midlands - for example the Batley weaver, Tom Daniel's version of
"Poverty Knock": "Poverty, poverty knock!/Me Loom is a-sayin' all
day/Poverty, poverty knock!/Gaffer's too skinny to pay", or one of the
songs about Eynuch  "O'd Eynuch bay fergot,/Nor niver con be" (Old Enoch
isn't forgotten, nor never can be).  This last exemplifies another
characteristic of the dialect: negatives that sound like positives!
To answer your question, you need someone who knows this area: it is
possible to locate people, by dialect, to one of the many towns or
villages which appear to outsiders to be swallowed into a homogenous
urban sprawl.  But those who live there know where they are.

--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   (T. Pratchett)