LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 02.FEB.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 15:48:52 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.FEB.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Family Lindley [john at lindley-york.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 01.FEB.2000 (01) [E]
Hi

Thank you for reminding me of the Swedish -tuna suffixes and for
drawing my attention to Holmberg's work.  If the Swedish -tuna
settlements are very early, do they predate the Low German
influence on Scandinavian languages through, for example, the
Hanseatic League thus representing a very early common
Germanic linguistic element ?

As far as I am aware, British historical geography focusses very
narrowly on -tun as an Anglo-Saxon element (and that may be largely
correct in the context of British settlement geography), but it is
helpful to be reminded of the broader picture which may disturb
the neatness of some explanations !

Regards

John Lindley
Wigginton
York.

John Lindley wrote:........

I hope that someone may be able to offer enlightenment
on a matter of place names, specifically the suffix "-ton"
found in England and to a lesser extent in Scotland

Carl Joan Petersson replied..........

It seems you have missed one very important area with a large number of
names in -tun:

Apart from in England, names in -tun (mostly in the old plural form: -tuna)
are very common in Scandinavia ........