LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 14.FEB.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 18:06:45 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.FEB.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: gdeutsch at estec.esa.nl
Subject: Lowlands in France

Roger Thijs mentioned in another context:
>It looks as bad for Low German as with Flemish in Northern France.<

I wonder about the official status of Dutch (or Flemish, if you want) in
Northern France:
Few days ago I read (in a Dutch) newspaper an article about the status of
Occitan in France.
Next to the partly remarkable parallels of the situation of Occitan (vs
French) to Low Saxon (vs German), and also to Scottish, the article appeared
to me of interest for the Lowlands, because it mentioned that Occitan, next
to seven other minority languages in France, had been officially recognised
by the government about a year ago, and this had been announced by the prime
minister, but unfortunately it had to be partly withdrawn, since this was
regarded as in contradiction with the French constitution.
I have never heard anything like this before, and my modest attempts to
verify this, failed (e.g.EBLUL web page does not mention this).
Was this article just nonsense?
If not, does anybody know, if Dutch is one of the seven minority languages
(one could reach eventually seven without counting the Flemish).
And, again if it should be true, I would be interested what was the driver to
this - attempted - change of attitude.

regards
Georg

   type of format, in your submissions.