LL-L: "Frisians abroad" LOWLANDS-L, 17.FEB.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 16:06:50 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.FEB.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Frisians abroad

Dear Lowlanders,

I received a copy of a mass mailing from the Fryske Akademy directed at
Frisians and their descendants overseas.  The copver letter comes in two
versions: English and Dutch (not Frisian).   Because of this and because there
is no German version, I am under the impression that "Frisian" here
specifically refers to Frisians from the Northern Netherlands, and I do not
know if Frisian emigrants from Germany are included.  I am passing the
contents of the letter on to you (below) but won't bother about the Dutch
version.  If you are interested in participating in Simmer 2000 and need a
copy of the questionnaire and any other information, please contact the Fryske
Akademy  (Coulonhûs, Doelestrjitte 8, postbus 54, 8900 AB Ljouwert/Leeuwarden,
Netherlands, phone 058.2131414, fax 058.2131409, email fa at fa.knaw.nl).

Best regards,

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

In July of next year the event 'Simmer 2000' will be held in Friesland. Many
Frisian emigrants will return to the country of their ancestors to participate
in all kinds of activities which will be held in many towns and villages.
Simmer 2000 gave the Frisian Academy (Fryske Akademy) and the
State University of Groningen (Department of Psychology) an occasion to do a
scientific study among Frisian emigrants.

The central question of our study is how the emigrants have fared since they,
or their parents, left Friesland. Therefore we are interested in their reasons
for emigration, if there are still contacts with family and friends in
Friesland and what their experiences are in the new country. The research
project concerns Frisians who live outside the Netherlands and who have
emigrated themselves or whose parents have emigrated. We would kindly request
you to fill in the enclosed questionnaire.

As you will see, we have made an English and a Dutch version. Both lists
contain the same questions. Would you be so kind and fill in one of them,
depending on what language suits you best. This will take approximately one
hour. Please put the questionnaire in the self-addressed envelope and send it
back to us (postage free).

You can be assured that the information will be handled confidentially and
anonimously. We obtained your name and address from an addresslist of the
Leeuwarder Courant, and it was given to us for this research project only.

If you know other people who are also Frisian emigrants or children of Frisian
emigrants and who are also willing to participate in our research, please fill
in their name at the last page of the questionnaire. We will then send them a
copy.

The results of the research will be published as a book and in some articles.
After the reseach is completed a short summary will be made with the most
important results. A copy is available for every respondent who so indicates.
During the Simmer 2000 event the researchers will present the first findings.

It goes without saying that only when a large number of Frisian emigrants
participate in our project it will be possible to present a reliable overview.
Therefore we do highly appreciate your cooperation in our research project. If
you still have any questions concerning this project, please let us know.

Thanking you in advance,
L.G. Jansma

Yours sincerely,

Dr. LG.Jansma,
scientific director of the Fryske Akademy

contact persons:
Dr. LG.Jansma
tel: +31-58-2343040
email: lgjansma at fa.knaw.nl