LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 21:14:04 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2000 (03) [E]

At 08:55 23/02/00 -0800, Reinhard/Ron wrote:

>how can the minority languages of France be "a part of the official language
>that is French"?  As though they were French dialects?

Quite. As far as government is concerned even French dialects, or anything
at all diverging from the standard set by l'Academie Francaise, are not
"part of the official language that is French".

Colin Wilson.

************ http://www.btinternet.com/~lcwilson/colin.htm ***********

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
writin fae Glesca              an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre