LL-L: "Neologisms" (was "Online resources") LOWLANDS-L, 28.FEB.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 22:29:03 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Neologisms

Ian James Parsley wrote:

>One of the best ways of defining a language linguistically, in my view, is
that it has formal and informal registers of its own. In this example, as it
happens, Scots in Ulster
is very similar to English. But this is not always the case (e.g. the formal
and informal words for face, "fisog" vs. "clock").<

I'm not sure that I understand this. If London Demotic has "fice" and (for
the sake of argument, because I don't know what the current term would be)
"clock" where Standard BE has "[human] face", does that make it a language?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Online resources" (was "Neologisms") LOWLANDS-L, 27.FEB.2000
(02) [E]

Sandy,That's one big task you've set yourself! But certainly it would be
beneficial to have technical terms agreed on a trans-sheuch basis(how's
that for a new word?!).

I'm always a little wary of changing the spelling on technical affixes
because of the problems you mention - if you leave the spelling thesame as
the original then you know you're safe.

1) "Meteoryde" sounds good to me, but then the spelling "meteoroid"would
have such a pronunciation naturally, which leads me to question whetherany
such change in spelling is necessary.

2) The long /i/ you mention is not common in Ulster (I personallyprefer
"official", "consistencie"), but has developed in spelling simply tocopy
the Scottish way.3) Certainly I recognise the "astronomy" vs. "aistronomical"
observation,but I suspect it is merely a matter of stress, and the spelling is
probablybest left "astronomical" in the second case.
But those are just by views and I'm certainly not a phonologist. I amglad,
however, that the debate has begun.Best wishes,
   tyX-Mozilla-Status: 0009submissions