LL-L: "Morphology" LOWLANDS-L, 06.JAN.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 20:30:42 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JAN.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: root at artemis.talo.nl on behalf of; Dr.J.C.Woestenburg [talo at xs4all.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Morphology" LOWLANDS-L, 06.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Morphology  verb/nouns

Dear Reinhard/Ron and Lowlanders,

Compounded verbs are quite common in the West Germanic languages as are
compounds in general.

There exists a relation between languages: in Dutch "kopschudden",
Afrikaans "kopskudden", German "kopfschutteln", in Danish
"hovedrysten",  in Frisian it should be "haadskodzje".
Mostly these woord are used as nouns: "het kopschudden", "das
Kopfschutteln" etc.
Is it possible your examples rely on reversals frequently found in
dialect forms?

Best regards

Jaap Woestenburg

> /Süd-/ (shake) + /kop/ (head) > /Südkop-/ _schüttkopp-_ 'shake one's head'
> _schüddkoppen_ ['Syt,kOpm] 'to shake one's head', _ick schüddkopp_ 'I
> shake/shook my head', _he schüddkoppt_ 'he shakes his head', _wie hebbt
> alltohoop schüddkoppt_ ("we have all shaken our heads") 'we all shook our
> heads', etc.

*TALO bv,
Lijsterlaan 379,
1403 AZ Bussum,The Netherlands

tel +31-35-69 32 801, gsm  +31-65 46 83 544
fax +31-35-697 59 93, e-mail  talo at xs4all.nl
http://www.xs4all.nl/~talo/