LL-L: "Lyrics" LOWLANDS-L, 09.JAN.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 00:12:20 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Lyrics"

Apologies that this contribution is more hogmananny than Hogmanay, but I'm
always away over the holiday period - last year was an exception.

at an English paraphrase, trying to capture the sentiment by ignoring the
prosody and other technicalities (also I've left alone some figures of
speech "A cup o kindness", for example, seems to me just as good in English
as Scots).

  Should old aquaintance be forgotten
    And never brought to mind?
  Should old aquaintance be forgotten
    And old familiar times?

And surely you'll take up your pint
  And surely I'll take mine
And we'll take a cup of kindness yet
  For old familiar times.

We two have run about the hills
  And picked the small bright flowers
But we've wandered many a weary road
  Since old familiar times.

We two have paddled in the brook
  From morning sun till dinner
But seas between us wide have roared
  Since old familiar times.

And here's a hand my trusty companion
  And give me a hand of thine
And we'll drink a draught of real goodwill
  For old familiar times.

Some of you may remember I was asking for sources for pre-Burns versions of
"Auld Lang Syne". I've since managed to dig up two distinct versions
(including the music), but since they're both in English apart from the
phrase "Auld Lang Syne" itself, I won't bother presenting them here unless
anyone is really interested. They're courtly romance rather than anything
like what Burns wrote.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk