LL-L: "Web resources" LOWLANDS-L, 10.JAN.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 01:08:13 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JAN.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at iee.org>
Subject: LL-L: "Web resources" LOWLANDS-L, 09.JAN.2000 (06) [E/S]

At 19:06 09/01/00 -0800, you R. F. Hahn wrote (to OleStig Andersen):

>On behalf of the subscribers of Lowlands-L, please allow me to thank you and
>congratulate you on a job well done in introducing Scots and its struggle
to the
>Danish-speaking world. I hope Lowlands-L was of some help with your research.

If I may, I'd like to endorse R. F. Hahn's sentiments here. I don't
understand Danish, unfortunately, and so don't understand all of the
programme, but I'm glad it was made. I met OleStig Andersen a number
of times during his visit to Scotland, and was glad of the chance to
be of help to him.

Colin Wilson.

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
postin fae Glesca              an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Web resources

Dear Colin, Lowlanders,

This was one of several strange cases of synchronicity today.  I was just going
to post another follow-up message when I found your submission (above), Colin.
In fact, I was just going to apologize about failing to mention that included in
the program are snippets of an interview with you, our very own Lowlands-L
subscriber of long standing.  The program mentions your textbook project
(_Stairtin oot in Scots_, I believe), it's merits and target readership.  (Now
it's even harder to wait for it to come out.)  Needless to say that I felt
rather ... well, "proud" and certainly thrilled about that part of the program.

I can assure you that the program is of very high quality, outstanding in it's
bredth and depth even for a public radio program.  It is not above the heads of
ordinary listener yet is still quite interesting to the listener with
specialized knowledge.  It is very well presented, with different speakers'
segments and interview cuts arranged with smooth editing forming a cohesive
whole.  It ends with a general message about the impoverishment resulting from
the death of "small" languages.  In fact, I like it so much that I wish the
entire transcript were available in languages besides Danish.

Best regards,