LL-L: "Web resources" LOWLANDS-L, 12.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 15:22:30 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JAN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Web resources" LOWLANDS-L, 10.JAN.2000 (03) [E]

At 17:17 10/01/00 -0800, Ian James Parsley wrote:

>a series of own goals. Whereas the likes of R.Gregg and G.B.Adams were able
>to pursue studies into Scots in Ireland freely twenty or thirty years ago,
>the issue has now become politicised to the extent that I, as a student of
>Scots in Northern Ireland, am immediately tarred by the "Irishman on the
>street" as inherently "anti-Catholic", "anti-Irish" and "anti-nationalist" -
>allegations I am quite frankly fed up with refuting, as they are
>quite honestly totally offensive and have nothing to do with my interest in
>language.

IJP might like to try learning to speak Irish as an answer
to this. The people who react in this way are unlikely to be native
speakers of Irish - who, in all probability, would respect his right to
pursue an active interest in his own heritage.

It's far more likely that they're people whose bitterness and vehemence
far outstrips their own prowess in Irish. Faced with an "opponent" whose
ability exceeded their own - which probably wouldn't be all that
great - they'd have to shut up, or just make themselves look even sillier.

Colin Wilson.

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
postin fae Glesca              an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre