LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 18.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 21:49:41 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JAN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 15.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Just a few comments on the Scots/Gaelic question.

Firstly, Mark's comment about Gaelic speakers being Catholic is of course
historical - though there are still some Gaelic speaking Catholic areas, in
more recent times many Gaelic speakers have been followers of a
particularly strict form of Presbyterianism. Gaelic is, therefore, not a
religiously polarised issue nowadays. (By the way, I would spell
_teuchters_ and _sassenachs_).

To Andy's comments about the attitude to Scots taken by the Government, I
would add that, in my opinion, this is partly the fault of the Scots
movement itself. I find that, when I talk about the necessity for a stable
orthography and conservative grammatical guidelines for written Scots, most
Gaelic activists understand what I mean immediately. Many academics and
writers in the Scots field, on the other hand (some of whom, of course, are
not Scots speakers, and in the case of some academics and lexicographers
not writers in Scots either) look on the idea that Scots should have
written standards as self-evidently ridiculous. Moreover, many writers
regard the slang status of Scots as its _raison d'e^tre_. I recently had an
argument in a bar about this, with me and a Gael on one side and a Scots
academic and a Shetland writer on the other. You therefore have a situation
where Scots activists are arguing for Scots to be given status akin to that
of Gaelic, where meanwhile many writers and academics, if consulted by the
government, will most likely tell them that Scots has, and should have, no
rules and no standards. It is not surprising, therefore, that officialdom
equates status for Scots with status for slang.

This also creates considerable problems with collaboration between Scots
and Gaelic, because the presuppositions are totally different. A Gaelic
activist told me that, on one joint committee, the two Scots
representatives spent most of their time arguing with each other about
whether Scots was a language or not. In another joint effort in which I
have been involved recently it was all fairly plain sailing (because my
approach is similar to that of the Gaels) until other Scots representatives
started to arrive each with their own totally different views about what
Scots is, and what should be done about it. Put a Scots activist, a Scots
academic, a Scots writer and a Scots speaker (which none of the others need
be) together in the same room and you will get much the same effect as the
molecules in a gas - they will all move around, but all in different
directions colliding with each other, so that the net effect will be no
movement at all!

Ron is probably right with what he says about Gaelic. I think many Lowland
Scots see Gaelic as a harmless assertion of national identity - harmless
because it is confined to the fringes of the country where they don't have
to think or do anything about it. There are, however, many complaints about
Gaelic T.V. programmes. Norn fulfils an even more effective romantic role
in Shetland. Not only does it represent the pure original Shetlandic, which
allows modern Shetlandic to be dismissed as bad English; it is also
conveniently dead which means that it isn't going to shove games programs
off the telly.

Here endeth the haivers,

John M. Tait.