LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 19.JAN.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 00:27:25 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JAN.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Lee [glent at troi.csw.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 19.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

>From: Florian Lohbrunner [Lobbe.MacTanner at t-online.de]
>Subject:  LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 18.JAN.2000 (01) [E]
>
>This is what I found on the web page (http://www.siol-nan-gaidheal.com) of
>"sìol
>nan Gaidheal" ("Race" of the Gaels), a nationalist pressure group
>
>>The Gaelic Language
<snip>

>Some personal comments on this virtual "pamphlet":
>a) I'm neither a member of this group nor the author of this text. I just
>found
>it interesting to see the other point of view - quasi anti-Scots view.
>b) The author obviously dreams of a kind of medieval Scotland and he doesn't
>recognize widely know  historical and linguistic facts (Scots is NOT the same

>as
>"English" but a language on its own etc.)
>
>Regards,
>
>Florian L.
>
>----------

Hello Lowlanders,

I highly agree that Scots is a language on its own.  In School, I have
studied French and Spanish and there are a few similarities to English, very
few.  The same goes with Scots and English!  I may be wrong but I think that
the many similarities between Scots and English are due to their being
sister languages but nevertheless languages on their own.  As I said once
before, Scots is a language that stands on its own two feet!  I don't know
much about it and I've only studied it on line, along with my Scottish
Dictionary and I'm still reading Dauvit's publication of 'Carin.'  What I'm
trying to say is that you can take a praragraph in English and set it beside
a translation into Scots and if you can read English, but cannot read Scots,
you are going to have the darndest time understanding the Scots unless you
read the English passage first!  I have found many, many words in Scots are
as different from English as french is from English!  So, maybe Inglis and
Scots are sisters, and I can see that, I guess:) but I have to say that
Scots IS a leid that stands on its own merit and has a most rich heritage in
the history of Scotland and deserves to be preserved and studied.  This
language is so alive that it is different in various areas of Scotland, yet
many of its speakers can understand one another!  An outsider who is
learning Scots cannot do this! and as an outsider I must admit becoming
overwhelmed by my studies!;)  English certainly isn't like that!  We in the
Southern United States are told that our old mountain speak or Appalachian
speak is diffinately not proper one whit!  So I know how to speak proper
English (not write it!) and I know how to speak Appalachian, although very
little.

Scots is a language! and a tough one to learn!  Help I need a teacher! [smile]

Doug (Lee)