LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 21.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 16:06:44 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JAN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 17.JAN.2000 (03) [E]

Sandy,

I can't disagree with anything you say re. the Scots signage, not least having
just returned from Scotland where I noticed a motorway service station south
of Glasgow had put up bi-lingual signs. Your point is a very good one and a
lot of folk this side of the sheuch would do well to note it.

It is impossible to do most things with Scots until you have general agreement
on a written standard - that includes not only spelling but also certain
elements of grammar. Yes, certain dialects will be a little distinct and
sometimes spellings will be optional (such as in British English with baptise
vs. baptize or queuing vs. queueing). But general agreement is necessary
before signage becomes an issue. It would also be necessary before you can
make any serious attempts at advertising in Scots or teaching it at academic
level.

I also concur completely with returning to traditional literary spellings. It
is the only chance we have of attaining the above. While there is much
confusion in Scotland, the issue of spelling in Northern Ireland has just
degenerated into the realms of utter ridicule. This has to be sorted with the
utmost urgency, and can only be done by those qualified to look at all the
various systems and make consistent and accurate decisions based upon them.

John Feather, with his reference to the "English" subtitling for Northern
Irish people, reminds me of a sign in a shop in Armagh which reads "English
Nearly Spoken Here".

 Best regards,
-------------------------------
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 18.JAN.2000 (01) [E]

John,

I also agree with everything you've said about Scots activists etc., and can
well imagine is applies to Low Saxon also.

However, you can follow Gaelic too far. Ulster-Scots activists here, most of
whom have little knowledge of foreign parts unfortunately, have nothing to go
on in the minority language sphere except Irish Gaelic. As a result, they copy
not only the good things but also the bad things. Like creating translations
of place names which traditionally are more or less the same in English and
Scots - but we'll not go down that route here (I've done so enough times on
ULLANS-L!).

The Gaelic movement in Northern Ireland isn't as united as all that either.
While the debate with Scots is "language vs. dialect", the issue with Gaelic
in the province is "dead vs. alive". Certainly the Gaelic movement here is
fiercely split on those lines.

Best,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij